What is the best fertilizer for plumeria?
Plumeria plants are most known for their colorful appearance in flower leis. Their beautiful blossoms are highly fragrant and an important staple in Hawaiian culture. The plants themselves are actually small trees which are native to tropical regions and not the flowering plant most people think they are.
Being a tropical plant/tree, plumeria need conditions mimicking tropical/subtropical climates to flourish: full sun, well-drained acidic soil, and protection from the cold. It is also important to choose the right fertilizer. In this post, we are going to discuss what is the best plumeria fertilizer for your flowers and how to choose the right one.
What is the best fertilizer for plumeria?
Here is a quick preview of our top 4 options. For more information please continue reading.
- Gro More Hawaiian Bud and Bloom
- Dr. Earth Exotic Blend Palm, Tropical & Hibiscus
- Fox Farm Cha Ching Soluble
- Miracle Gro Water Soluble Bloom Booster Flower Food
How to choose the right fertilizer
Caring for plumeria is fairly easy and requires little effort compared to some flowering ornamental, but fertilizing the plants is an important aspect of care to ensure abundant, healthy blooms. Fertilizers add nutrients to the soil, replenishing what the plant has depleted from the environment over time.
There are fifteen essential for proper plant growth: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sulfur, magnesium, sodium, boron, chlorine, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, molybdenum and nickel. They are classified based on the three main elements that are needed in much higher amounts than the others – nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium – to allow consumers to easily compare one fertilizer product to another.
Nitrogen is listed first on the fertilizer label since it is considered the most key nutrient needed for plant growth. Its main responsibility in the plant is regulating vegetative growth. Nitrogen is assimilated in the plant into amino acids, the building blocks of protein; it is also a major component of chlorophyll and helps to keep foliage green; and nitrogen is necessary for many of the plant’s enzymatic reactions.
Phosphorus is a structural component in DNA and RNA (the genetic building blocks within plant cells) and is needed for root growth and flowering. Potassium works more indirectly in plants than nitrogen and phosphorus. While it isn’t a component of any plant parts, it functions by activating the enzymatic reactions that occur, making it imperative for the overall health of the plant.
When fertilizing plumeria plants, it’s imperative to pick fertilizers that are higher in phosphorus than nitrogen or potassium. A high nitrogen fertilizer will help promote a healthy plant, but it will spur vegetative growth causing the tree to become tall and leggy. Fertilizers higher in phosphorus will promote blossom development, which is the end goal with plumeria.
There are many fertilizer options available for purchase. A consumer can buy conventional fertilizers or organic products; they can purchase all-purpose fertilizers geared towards a wide range of plants or products specifically formulated for flowering plants; and they can purchase either granular or liquid formulations. These options allow gardeners to choose products that fit their budget, and gardening philosophy.
Plumeria plants – as well as other tropical flowering ornamentals – have many fertilizers formulated specifically to their needs making it somewhat easier for the homeowner to find a suitable product. When looking at plumeria options water-soluble fertilizers should have a phosphorus content greater than 50 in the N-P-K ratio, granular fertilizers should be higher than 20. This will help to facilitate the most blossoms on the plant.
Our top 4 best plumeria fertilizers
1. Gro More Hawaiian Bud and Bloom – Does this fertilizer have what it takes to be considered the best fertilizer for plumeria? We think so. High in phosphorus (with a nutrient ratio of 5-50-17), and free of urea-nitrogen, this special fertilizer formulation is made specifically for tropical and near-tropical flowering plants. It is considered by industry professionals to be the world’s best bloom formula in commercial agriculture.
Gro More Hawaiian Bud and Bloom contains micronutrients for better absorption and/or root uptake. The concentrated, water-soluble formula needs to be diluted in water before application. For foliar application mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water; for a soil/root drench mix 1 tablespoon of plant food per gallon of water.
2. Dr. Earth Exotic Blend Palm, Tropical & Hibiscus Fertilizer – Ideal for tropical and subtropical flowering plants, Dr. Earth Exotic Blend with a nutrient ratio of 6-4-6 is specifically formulated for plants such as plumeria, hibiscus, and bougainvillea. The formulation is 100% organic and all natural, with no GMO’s, chicken manure, or sewage sludge making it people and pet safe.
Specially formulated with Advanced TruBiotic five strains of beneficial soil microbes and eighteen select strains of ecto & endo mycorrhizae –to increase plant performance and drought tolerance. For best results apply 1 cup of fertilizer for every inch of trunk diameter, measuring 4 – 6” above the soil surface. Apply every 8 weeks during the active growing season.
3. Fox Farm Cha Ching Soluble – This 9-50-10 fertilizer formulation will encourage strong blooms with its high phosphorus content, while feeding the plants with lower nitrogen and potassium amounts. This plant food is expertly crafted to not leave a salt buildup in the soil and contains the essential elements needed for vital plant functions: calcium, magnesium, boron, manganese, sulfur, molybdenum, iron, copper and zinc.
Known for its micronutrient pack, Fox Farm products will maximize flower development in plumeria. Dilute the fertilizer in water per the recommended label rates and then feed plants every other watering for best results.
4. Miracle Gro Water Soluble Bloom Booster Flower Food – Miracle Gro products are a mainstay in the conventional fertilizer market with proven results. Miracle Gro Water Soluble Bloom Booster Flower Food is heavily concentrated with phosphorus (10-52-10) to support the development of blooms/blossoms and root systems. This product feeds plants through both the leaves and roots, without burning when used as directed. Can be applied at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon of water every 14 days during the active growing season.
Well known for their beautiful blossoms, plumeria plants make a gorgeous addition to tropical/subtropical landscapes. A mainstay in Hawaiian culture due to their popularity in flower leis, plumeria plants thrive in the tropical climate of the Hawaiian islands: full sun, well-drained acidic soil, and protection from the cold.
Similarly to many other flowering plants, plumeria will also benefit from the addition of high quality fertilizers to get the plant essential nutrients they require. Feeding plumeria plants with high-phosphorus fertilizers made especially for tropical or sub-tropical flowering plants will encourage blooms/blossom development and you will be rewarded with plants teeming with gorgeous flowers to enjoy.
Now it is your turn. Please share with us your thoughts on what you think is the best fertilizer for plumeria in the comment section below.